WINTRY FAMILY FUN

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Testing...testing...1,2,3 testing


After my diagnosis the cancer treatment coordinator called me 
and set me up with a long list of appointments.

I was so grateful to have a plan of action, 
even if it was just tests and we hadn't gotten to the treatment yet.


Day 1: Bone Scan

I had never been radioactive before and thought it was pretty cool.
That is until they told me I couldn't be near my daughter until the next morning!
Not cool.

That scan was kind of like a day at the spa.
After I was injected, I had to wait 2 hours to let the tracer work it's way through my body.

My husband took me to The Cheesecake Factory for a belated anniversary celebration.
It was raining outside and cozy with just the two of us eating without any high maintenance little people.

When we returned to the hospital, they wrapped me in a warm blanket, swaddled me like a baby 
and slid me back and forth through the machine on a vibrating table.

Piece of cake.


Day 2: CT Scan

This test was harder for a lot of reasons.
First I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything for a few hours before I arrived.

Then when I arrived I had to drink this enormous cup full of tracer liquid.
It tasted like some sort of lukewarm sewer water.
It was awful.
I wanted to throw it up, but I kept thinking then I would have to start all over.
So I kept it down.

The CT tech gave me the most painful IV I have ever had and slid me through the machine.

I had diarrhea for 2 days.


Day 3: Pre-Op Intake Meeting

I had to undress and then the PA and medical student felt my lumps.
After that they took pictures of me in nothing but a pair of tiny disposable underwear.

I felt like I was in a bad Lifetime sex trade movie.
Not my favorite, but there was no needle or fasting or disgusting liquid.


Day 4: MUGA Scan

I was getting pretty tired of needles by this time.
This scan was to see if my heart was strong enough for chemotherapy.

The tech was exceptionally wonderful and skilled with 40 years of experience.
I wanted to tuck him in my pocket and make him do my IV every time.
He kept me entertained with stories about his life and played the Beatles while I was scanned.

Today I meet with 4 doctors.
A general surgeon, a plastic surgeon, a geneticist and a hematologist/oncologist.

I am anxious to hear the testing results and treatment plan.
And hopeful I will be comfortable with it.
I just want to zap this beast cancer!

Stay tuned for the results...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Jamie, Keep strong and listen what they say but get other opinions from non conventional treatments. We'll keep praying for you until this is beat. We love you kiddo and owe you that big hug.

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

You are a WARRIOR! Kick that breast cancer's BUTT!
Please don't let someone give you a painful IV, ask to have someone else do it. My friend is a nurse and she was giving IV's to people right out of nursing school, you want to have someone who has been doing it for years, not months!

Unknown said...

Wow! Good luck girl this must be a tough hurdle to get over.
I just want to say it is awesome that you still look and sound so happy with life even though you going trough this. World would have been a better place with more positive people like you!

Cherish said...

Nice medical people help so much. Unfamiliar tests are scary. I like someone who either explains as they go or is nice.

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!! Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it... (imagine me singing)

Emmy said...

Wow that is a lot for one week. I truly am amazed at the positive upbeat attitude you are keeping. You truly are an inspiration

Kath said...

you are amazing! I am always impressed by your positive spirit and incredible passion. You are such a fighter and I am proud to be your sister n law. -love, kath

Unknown said...

You my dear are amazing! We need more people in the world like you. XO!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

It really helps when you have a nice person helping you through the testing. That's terrific.

Unknown said...

Not sure how we ended up crossing paths on the crazy world of IG but I'm def praying for you! My mom had a double mastectomy last March and just celebrated her 1 year anniversary of being cancer free. Hers was caught super early so she didn't end up having a lot of other tests.

Unknown said...

My phone despises me so here's part 2...lol

I love how you are haring your journey and the smile on your face just lights up a room. And how cool is that to be radioactive. Did you glow in te dark like Checy Chase did in that old movie? Continued blessings to you and your family!!!

dianeziebarth said...

Keep smiling and being positive, as hard as it might be. I have two friends that were diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. They are both fighters and still doing well after 3 or 4 years. You remind me of them. After their treatments they got back to living life to the fullest. Prayers for you and your family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...