WINTRY FAMILY FUN

Friday, March 25, 2011

Foodie Friday - Simple Rainbow Cake

If you're online at all, I'm sure you've seen the rainbow cakes.
Gorgeous color, all stacked up in rainbow color. Sigh...
I love them so much.
I had to bring a cake to a church function and decided I wanted to make it rainbow! I opted however to go with the simpler version since I didn't have that much time to spend on it.
 I started with a white cake mix. I love the ones with pudding in the mix! So moist and yummy!!
Be smart and put your butter in a mixing bowl to soften for your frosting. (I ALWAYS forget to do this and end up trying to make frosting with frozen butter, highly ineffective.)
Separate your batter into six bowls and color it to whatever shades suit your fancy! My nesting bowls were perfect for this project because they helped me put the right amount of batter in the bowls for each color, i.e. the most for red, least for violet.
 Spoon your batter in rainbow order circles into your round cake pan. It's pretty already!!
 Bake according to directions and voila? I was disappointed that the colors faded into each other and were not more vibrant.
 Until I sliced off the top and found the color inside! Hooray!
Add some marshmallow creme to your frosting for fluffy white cloud goodness!
 Have your little sunshine give it her taste test of approval!
 Stack your two round cakes and frost! I so wished I had more colors of sprinkles, but I guess we were going patriotic in March!
This is where the story gets sad.
Grab a tissue. Ok, not really.
I took the cake to the church and turned it over to the party planners. They carried it into the kitchen and dropped it.
It hit the wall and landed on the floor in a broken, colorful mess.
Very sad.
 I rescued one piece so I could show you the inside.
Pretty! As people looked at the mess that was my cake, they oohed and aahed over the beauty of it.
One lady did her best to cheer me up and told me the story of her wedding cake that fell over. No cake cutting at her reception!
Now that's a real tear-jerker!

Enjoy fabulous food this weekend!!

5 comments:

laxsupermom said...

Love the rainbow cake. So pretty! I have a pic somewhere of a pirate ship cake I made for my now 14yo's 7th birthday. It was perfect when it left my home, but by the time we made it to the cottage(where his party was being held) it had broken in half. We called it a shipwreck, and decided it had tangled with a naval fleet and come up on the wrong side of the battle.

At least you salvaged a slice for the money shot. Thanks for sharing.

Cherish said...

WHAAAA! That is so incredibly sad after you went to all that work. No wonder I insist on carrying things myself.

Brandi said...

Oh NO!! Thats such a beautiful cake to end with such a terrible death.

Jan said...

Great cake. Thanks for visiting my blog. See you on Wednesday.

Sarann said...

That is very cool, I will have to give it a try!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...